Oliver

Oliver

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The fellowship of believers.



I got a phone call earlier this week from a friend who has been going through the process of adopting a baby for the last several months. She and her husband went with me to the Adopted for Life conference in February. (About which, I posted here.) Their story of trust and hope while waiting for their baby to be born is beautiful.

Being interested in, and supportive of, cross-cultural community, The Wilsons live in the inner city of Birmingham. Through much prayer, they decided that they wanted to adopt an at-risk baby- an African-American baby born in inner-city Memphis. Memphis, sadly, is ranked the highest in infant mortality statistics. See more information here.

I received an early morning text message from Liz last week letting me know that they had been chosen by a birth mother who was IN LABOR with their child. They quickly headed to Memphis and we spoke on their way there. Being that it was such short notice, they had done very little planning, so it was time for me to delve into the amazing body of believers I am a part of in Memphis.

I quickly made 6 am phone calls to a few of my Memphis friends who I thought might be able to help The Wilsons with their situation- housing, meeting them to encourage them and champion this amazing decision and encouraging them in their inner-city mission. I even had a friend meet them at the hospital to take pictures of them meeting their son for the first time. I was completely humbled at the support shown to them, and thankful all over again for the amazing love we have in the body of believers. It is amazing to me how we are all so connected because of our faith and are able to commune with others so quickly because of Who we are seeking. This is a benefit that is so foreign to those who are not believers and a blessing I never want to take for granted. So, thank you to my Memphian friends who showed The Wilsons the gospel through your service, love and prayers!

Precious Amos is now at home in Birmingham and is doing well! Praise the Lord for His faithfulness to us- through Jesus and one another!


2 comments: