Oliver

Oliver

Monday, January 17, 2011

Being sick...and grown up.


....means making your OWN chicken noodle soup.

I have been sick this weekend (praise the Lord for Z Packs!) and have been dreaming of homemade chicken noodle soup. I got the wherewithal to go to Publix this morning and get the items I would need to make Martha Stewart's Chicken Noodle Soup. I know. I am pretty fancy to attempt a "Martha" on a Z Pack. When you see the absolute simplicity of the recipe, you won't be quite so "wowed".

Let me be presumptuous and present my alterations (eek! Am I allowed to do that?) to Martha's recipe. Here is what I did below:

  • 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), giblets and liver discarded
  • 1 pound carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • 1 pound celery, chopped
  • 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
  • 4 teaspoons coarse salt
  • Cooked wide egg noodles, for serving

Directions:

  1. In a large pot, combine chicken, carrots, celery, and onions. Add water to just cover. Stir in salt. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes (skim off foam).
  2. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool; shred. Refrigerate any excess chicken you might have and use for another recipe!
  3. To serve soup, add noodles to broth, and season with salt, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment