Oliver

Oliver

Tuesday, May 25, 2010


“Thirty, flirty and thriving….thirty, flirty and thriving!” This mantra that was made famous in the movie, “13 Going on 30” is something that really struck a chord with me as I am on the brink of my own thirtieth birthday. Jennifer Garner’s character spoke these words over and over again in hopes that they would, somehow, help her to believe that her age was, indeed, something to be OK with and perhaps even excited about.

Graduating into a new decade of life often brings about many difficult emotions for women. We choose to think of the drawbacks that go along with aging: wrinkles, slowing metabolisms, health issues and the like. While these may be legitimate concerns, living in a culture that suggests that women ought to do whatever it takes to stay young, I am choosing to be different. As generations of younger women watch me age, I want to demonstrate, by faith, that aging is not a scary process to avoid, rather a new adventure and blessing to embrace.

One scripture that speaks specifically to this is Proverbs 31:25. It beautifully states, “She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.” May I be so bold as to suggest that the writer of this Proverb would also be willing to insert, “she can laugh at the years to come,” as well. Because we know that our God has already been victorious, we can laugh at whatever may come, because we know that the battle has already been won. While there certainly may be trials and difficulties ahead that will be painful and difficult, we have full access to the One who is able to walk with us through these storms. And, the longer we walk with God, the more ammunition we will bring with us to the battle- our armor will be readied for battle.

I once knew a woman who had walked with the Lord for over 50 years. She and her husband had been married since their twenties and had an incredible partnership in the Gospel. They were struck by the news that her husband, had cancer a few years ago. Watching her strength and confidence in the Lord’s plan for her beloved husband assured me of her faith- that she really was able to “laugh at the days to come”. She knew her Savior. She knew that she was not home here, anyway. What an example her faith was to me! It was tried and true because of her age and her years of getting to know the One who is, alone, able to bring her security and peace. If getting older means also getting more seasoned in my faith, I am looking forward to it. I long for the security that I see in the lives of older women who have known the Lord for a long time.

So, rather than stroking the Hollywood mantra, “Thirty, flirty and thriving…” I am going to choose to pray that my faith would continue to deepen and solidify as do my wrinkles. May my laugh lines testify to the years that I have joyfully walked with God, seen His grace every time I fail and may each new day be a reminder that I am that much closer to being at home- with the Lord Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. well said. also, i wrote a long comment on your post entitled commercial break. somehow it got deleted. i'll do it again when i find the time. pardon the one-handed typing errors. i have a baby who likes to be held all.the.time. can't blame her. it'd be nice.

    ReplyDelete