
In a recent email exchange I had with Paige Benton Brown (not because I am cool enough to be her "real" friend...just because she was kind enough to reply to an email I sent her way...) she said something that was incredibly wise and yet simple all at the same time. As Paige so wisely said, "You aren't waiting..you're being."
As a 29 year old single girl working full time in a brand new, big city means that there are many things I feel I am "waiting on"- community, a church home, advancement/change in my current position at work, Mr. Right, etc. The "being vs. waiting" argument is relevant in any area of life and stage of life, as well. Always waiting for retirement (or, ahem, Spring Break??) Waiting until you are able to have children? Waiting to find that perfect house? All of those thoughts can really make you lose sight of TODAY and the blessings/lessons that it was designed to bring.
Today you are working. How can you give those hours each day to the Lord with praise because you are healthy enough TO work?
Today you are without children. How can you enjoy your spouse for who he/she is and work on that relationship so that if/when you have children you will be better connected and, thus, better able to parent as a team?
Today you are in a house that you don't love. How can you make it a home anyway and welcome people into it with joy?
I am not at ALL minimizing the pain and struggle it can be to feel as though there is something that you just "can't" have yet. Hang in there. The Lord feels your pain and struggle and is with you. Tell him your hurts. God has not overlooked you. He can't!
Isaiah 49:15 "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!"
I love that. I am always having to work on "being" instead of "waiting" and I have never been very good at it. The hardest for me was waiting for marriage, but it is true that we are ALWAYS in a phase of life where we have the choice to either wait or be. Have you read Paige's article on singleness, "Singled Out by God for Good"? It is so good - and infused with her wonderful humor.
ReplyDeleteYes, Molly I have read that article...in fact, I linked it to her name in this post, but it didn't look that way when you read it. Technical glitch!
ReplyDeleteGod's timing is beautiful and right...mine is the one that is off! Thanks for your honesty...and ability to relate to the "wait"!