Oliver

Oliver

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Can't catch a fish with THAT line!


I went to a party this weekend for a few of my new ATL friends. I only knew a few people that would be there, so I was looking forward to getting to know some new folks. I also came face-to-face with a conversation that left me thinking..and I wanted your thoughts.

Me: "Hi (insert male name) it's nice to meet you. What do you do for a living?"

Him: "I'm a flusie."

Me: " (Picture me with super awkward grin-ish look on my face) Uh..oh. Ok...uh...."

Him: "Ha. Yep. 'Been a flusie for about 6 years now."

Me: "(Still sporting a confused grin) Hmmm...oh, ok."

Him: "Yep. I work at the CDC and I am in charge of the H1N1 marketing. Get it? A Flu-sie?"

At this moment, I had a decision to make: either be helpful to him and say, "You are a really nice guy, but you need to lose the flusie line" or just humor him and chuckle along. I chose the latter option, but in some ways wish I had the chance to throw the guy a bone and help him out a bit. Super nice, cute, godly man....equipped with a really bad opener. Not that it would have been appropriate in that context, but if you were his friend and you overheard him using those sorts of phrases, would you say something? How could you say it in a way that would be honoring, kind and truly helpful? Is there a way to do that?




No comments:

Post a Comment