Oliver

Oliver

Monday, June 8, 2009

Turbulence and Trust


On a short 50 minute flight from Memphis to Atlanta, God gave me a great picture of trust.

When the plane took off, it was a perfectly clear and sunny day. As it continued upward, we met the clouds with much turbulence. I had already propped my head against the window attempting a cat nap when I was jolted awake to look outside. When I saw that we were going through the clouds, I just closed my eyes and went back to my napping….fully trusting that we could come through the clouds safely and in moments. I could do this because I have flown so many times.

Nearby were some folks who were not as experienced with flying. They were clenching their hands around the armrests and worriedly looking out the window wondering what was going on when the ride got a bit rough. It was not until we were through the clouds that they were able to rest and feel secure because they made it through unscathed.

How this parallels the Christian walk! I am so often unable to see a turbulent situation and “close my eyes” trusting that God will bring me through to the other side. I am the one with clenched fists and panic stricken thoughts. My prayer is that, as I walk with the Lord longer and see His faithfulness over and over, I will be able to close my eyes and rest when things are a bit rocky…because I will know that the blue, calm skies are coming.

“Morning by morning, I wake up to find…
The power and comfort of God’s hand in mine.
Season by season, I watch Him amazed.
In awe of the mystery of His perfect ways.
All I have need of, His hand will provide.
He’s always been faithful to me.

I can’t remember a trial or a pain,
He did not recycle to bring me gain.
I can’t remember one single regret,
In serving God only and trusting His hand.
All I have need of, His hand will provide.
He’s always been faithful to me.”

Sara Groves, “He’s Always Been Faithful”

No comments:

Post a Comment