

It has really been revealing to me, as of late, how many things we create in order to make things more fantastic and outlandish for the children in our lives. Wishing wells, Santa Claus, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" wishes, birthday wishes, etc. Being that I teach young children, I am more and more aware of the new trends that align with this idea. One example that is very prevalent amongst the children I teach is, the new Winter time craze, "Elf on a Shelf".
Why do we create these traditions? Is it to create the belief in children that they can make things to happen by wishing, hoping or being "good enough"? Is it to expand a child's imagination? Is it to make their lives full of things to hope for and crave?
Today, in my classroom, we made snow globes. When I was explaining to them about how they could shake up their snow globes tonight and wish for snow, I realized that I, too, was falling into this cycle of the "wishes and the wants". I quickly changed my thinking and explained that, only God is able to choose whether it snows or not. That, if they wanted it to snow, they can shake their snow globes and be reminded to pray a little prayer that God would allow us to have some snow. THAT was the only way that we could truly have the hope of snow.
The main reason I write about this is....we HAVE wondrous things upon which to think and in which to hope. God is such a creative and powerful God, we don't have to make things up in order to have wonderfully exciting things to think about! Talk about the imagination and wonder that could fill a child's heart if he/she only knew the things that God tells us about Himself!
The Lord was kind to show me a verse this morning that I was able to share with my students about how fantastical and outrageous the works of God are!
Job 37:10-13
The breath of God produces ice,
and the broad waters become frozen.
He loads the clouds with moisture;
he scatters his lightning through them.
At his direction they swirl around
over the face of the whole earth
to do whatever he commands them.
He brings the clouds to punish men,
or to water his earth and show his love.
May we flood the minds of children with the hope, promise and unbelievable power of God!
*****UPDATE*********
I had a parent/teacher conference today with the parents of a child whom I have previously taught and currently teach their other son. At the end of the conference, the Mom said to me, "Oh...Miss Sheehan....I have to tell you something that concerns me. 'Johnny' keeps telling me about Heaven based on what you teach your class. 'The streets are made of gold,' 'there are no tears in Heaven,'etc. Johnny talks about Heaven so much, I am afraid that he wants to go there soon!" I was, of course, quick to point out that I don't tell the boys how to get there or TO go there now, but simply reassure them that it is not a scary place, but one full of wonders!
I loved the way that, I believe, God confirmed in my heart today that His Word is powerful as are His ways. It IS exciting to think about the things He has in store for us...I love that my students are becoming excited about the things of God!
very cool, miss sheehan!!
ReplyDelete