
Not that I am necessarily planning to GO to Heaven in 2011....it has a nice ring to it.
I am working on some New Year's goals. Not resolutions, mind you, but goals. The difference? A commitment to something concrete and not a lifestyle change. I am more driven toward something solid I can work toward....and not so much an abstract idea. So, here are a few:
Run a 5K:
One might remember that this was a goal 2 years ago....it didn't happen. I have signed up for a "couch potato to 5K" training class that begins on January 2nd. (My friend, Molly, who just moved to Birmingham from Memphis is doing it with me!) We will meet with a group (and a trainer) up to three times a week to do a run/walk program. After 6 weeks, we will register for the Mercedes Marathon 5K in February. Eek. Stay tuned....I will post pics when it happens!
Go on a missions trip:
I would L-O-V-E to get back to Africa this summer. I am working on/praying about some potential opportunities and I sure would love to hold those precious babies again soon! Africa is my hope, but I am willing to go anywhere.
(Proverbs 16:9- "In his heart a man plans his course, but it is the Lord that determines his steps.")
Give more:
After much thought and prayer about how to handle giving to people who are homeless, the Lord gave me some wisdom a few years ago. I keep granola bars in my car in case I see someone who is hungry. This is an easy way for me, as a woman who is usually alone in the car, to show the love of Christ without putting herself in danger. I am going to pray about more ways in which I might be able to serve the homeless and hungry in my community.
Another way I have already been giving back is through hosting a Drop In and Decorate event each year before Christmas. I am planning to host another such event making cupcakes this Spring before Easter. It is said that since people who are homeless might get fed at a shelter, the only food they eat is mass produced. For them to receive a cookie/cupcake that is decorated by hand is a very personal and special thing. It is also a lot of fun for us!
I will continue to think...but there are a few to whet your appetite!
No comments:
Post a Comment