Oliver

Oliver

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Like things...LOVE people.



Dun, dun dunnnnnn..............

Hi. My name is Lauren, and I am addicted to The Bachelor. I love the sociology of it all. I love seeing what makes people tick and this is a great (partially scripted) way to see into the lives of people who live in a world that is very foreign to me. It fascinates me.

While I was watching last night, I was acutely aware of the big descriptive words that were used over and over....BEST...MOST INCREDIBLE....INDESCRIBABLE...etc. The first thing I thought about was, "No wonder we are immune to so many words used to describe God and His majesty. We have become so used to hearing words that are really only meant to describe someone as uniquely powerful as the Lord."

When I hear the words to praise songs like, "You are beautiful beyond description...too marvelous for words..." I am ashamed to say that I sing them without realizing their depth- partially because I am used to hearing these same words describe people who have just met and are in very surface-y relationships.


Something I talk with my students about a lot is that we ought to "like" things....and "love" people. We too easily say, "I love ice cream" and "I like my friends". It is a habit that is hard to break, but I have asked my students to help me with it. (Children can be great tools of accountability!)

I challenge you to reword some things that you frequently might say that give material things too much praise...and savour the lovely words for people who were made in the image of the One we truly love.



2 comments:

  1. I am very careful with Kate (and myself, aside from her!) when choosing whether to use the word "like" or "love" and "want" or "need" - I owe that to you. Can't remember when we had that conversation but I remember you telling me you were careful with your boys about that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, you are really sweet to want to give me credit. Almost everything I say is because I heard it from another great teacher!! I bet I heard it from someone else...I am so glad you are practicing that with Kate. What a great habit to begin early!

    ReplyDelete